SKAGIT COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM
- April 9, 2016 -
The United States of America is the Greatest country ever established. Republicans are Conservatives. We want to Conserve, preserve those conditions that make our country so remarkable, so special in all the annals of history. Our FOUNDATION is based on the Rule of Law, directed by our CONSTITUTION. Our guiding PRINCIPLES are Economic Freedom, Limited Government, Individual Liberty, Strong National Defense, and Traditional Values. Our GOALS are to allow every American Citizen an equal opportunity to strive for the American Dream, each having Natural, God-given Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Therefore, as Americans and Members of the Republican Party, we hereby stand by these Declarations and following Pledges.
1. CONSTITUTION. Uphold the Rule of Law in America, as directed by the U.S. Constitution, with no deference to the United Nations, the World Court, or any other International, Foreign, or Religious Laws. Advocate for strong support of our Bill of Rights, in particular the 1st and 2nd Amendments. Resist the Regulatory State by overturning abusive Administrative Law, repealing Judicial Legislation, and stopping regulatory overreach by unelected bureaucrats. Retain and preserve the privileges of Citizenship for Citizens, especially Voting Rights and Entitlement Benefits.
2. NATIONAL DEFENSE. Provide for Strong National Defense by rebuilding our Military and maintaining it with a reasonable Defense Budget going forward. Oppose all Nuclear Proliferation. Secure our Borders and enforce our Current Laws to allow Legal Immigration to proceed in a safe and meaningful way that is good for America.
3. EDUCATION. Abolish the U.S. Department of Education. Support School Choice and Vocational Training. Monitor, reward, and discipline Teacher Performance, based on realistic results. Recognize that Educational Needs of Students vary throughout the country and cannot be met with a single Mandate requiring One Size to Fit All. Remove Federal Government from financial entanglements with Higher Education.
4. MONETARY. Abolish the IRS. Department of Treasury to administer a FLAT TAX on Earned Income, Interest, Dividends, Capital Gains and Corporations. NO Tax on Social Security Benefits or Death. Reform Entitlements to keep Social Security and Medicare solvent. Establish a Goal to Retire the National Debt.
5. HEALTHCARE. Repeal and Replace OBAMACARE. Dismantle the VA Health System, then fund all veterans' health care expenses through Medicare and Commercial Insurance.
6. ENERGY. Promote sensible, effective, and realistic Energy Independence that protects the Environment and strengthens the Economy. Support True Science based on Objective Data that seeks to answer how things are, not how they ought to be.
7. MEMBERS OF GOVERNMENT. Establish Term Limits for all elected Officials and Judges. All work related Benefits (Health Care, Retirement, Insurance, etc.) enjoyed by elected, appointed or hired officials and employees of Government shall be no different in any way from such benefits as are available, in an equal manner, to all the citizens.
8. ECONOMY. Support Free Market Enterprise, Free Trade, and provide Equal Opportunity employment for all citizens. Oppose Regulations that impair economic development.
9. FOREIGN AID. Capitalism and Free Enterprise are the real Cure for Poverty. Allocate goods and services only to those truly in need, with the goal of helping them help themselves. Require that resources actually be delivered to the intended recipients. Deny all Foreign Aid to any Hostile Government that might use it against America or its Allies.
10. TRADITIONAL VALUES. Value the Sanctity of Human Life and the Importance of Marriage, Family, and Discipline as cornerstones of Civilization. Support a virtuous Work Ethic and Self Responsibility. Deny Taxpayer Funding for any elective termination of innocent Human Life. Provide help to those who need it.
1. TAXATION. Repeal State Death Tax. Oppose State Income Tax and State Gift Tax. Amend WA State Constitution to make the 2/3 Legislative Rule to Raise Taxes permanent.
2. EDUCATION. Money is neither the problem, nor an answer. Student Interests must be prioritized above Teacher's. Unions should focus on their Members. School Boards & Superintendents should focus on their Students.
3. CRIMINAL JUSTICE. No Sanctuary Cities. Enforce the Law and Uphold Sentences. Support our Police and Sheriffs. CIVIL. Work for TORT REFORM and allocation of Court Costs to the Losing Party.
4. ELECTIONS. Re-establish IN PERSON voting at polling places on Election Day with required Voter I.D. Allow Absentee Ballots only by valid exception.
5. PROPERTY RIGHTS. Protect our Constitutional Right against Government takings of private property. Restrict Eminent Domain to proper use, only for the Public Good with just compensation. Repeal Growth Management Act (GMA).
6. HEALTH CARE. Dismantle State Exchange for Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and limit Medicaid expansion. Open Health Insurance across State lines. Give patients their choice.
7. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS. Make Washington a Right to Work State. Reform unfunded Pension Liabilities to protect future taxpayers. NO STRIKE RULE for essential service employees: Police, Fire, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, City/County/State Services.
8. INDIAN AFFAIRS. All Members of Federally Recognized Tribes were granted U.S. Citizenship in 1924. State Government and Agencies must treat Tribal Members as co-equals with all other Citizens of the State, showing no preference for any particular group.
9. Federalism. Respect and implement the 10th Amendment.
COUNTY / LOCAL GOVERNMENT
1. ZONING. Decisions shall be based upon citizen input and needs, not driven by GRANTS. No changes to Shoreline Master Plan unless requested by The People. Down Zoning, and any other land use regulation which diminishes property value constitutes a "Taking" which must be compensated. Permanently bury "Envision Skagit 2060".
2. AGRICULTURE-FORESTRY. Oppose "Puget Sound Near Shore Ecosystem Restoration Project" (PSNSERP) destruction of valuable agricultural lands. Respect all Irrigation and Water Rights, including allocation of an adequate water supply from the Skagit and Samish Rivers. Never allow a "Transfer of Development Rights" (TDR) program. Demand better, scientific management of Dept. of Fish & Wildlife: 1. To preserve both natural and hatchery production of gene stocks for salmon and steelhead, promoting both conservation and harvest; 2. To avoid preventable damage to property, crops, livestock, and humans from wildlife.
3. WATER. Oppose any and all Bureaucratic Rules (WAC's) that change or hamper WA State Law (RCW's). Groundwater Permit Exemption, RCW 90.44.050, should be enforced as written into State Law, allowing domestic use for single family dwellings without requiring a State Water Right Permit. Redirecting surface flow of any Stream or River is not permissible.
4. TRANSPORTATION. Properly direct our limited funds to required maintenance of Essential Roads, before desired construction of Recreational Trails. Improve and maintain adequate 24/7 Emergency Medical Services (911)to all areas of Skagit County. Skagit Council of Governments (SCOG),paid by taxpayers, was never approved by them. This organization must be restructured to allow meaningful citizen input at all stages, or be disbanded.
2016 WASHINGTON STATE REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM
- May 21st, 2016 -
The Washington State Republican Party is dedicated to preserving a constitutional republic through active participation by citizens for the protection and preservation of conservative values including: the sanctity and dignity of human life; religious freedom; personal rights and responsibility; preserving a free society; free markets, and free trade; limited government; low taxes; minimal bureaucracy; national security and sovereignty; and private property rights. We believe that good citizenship begins with protected rights and ends with accompanying responsibilities. We believe that government should be the last resort for individuals and do only those necessary things that they cannot do for themselves.
We reaffirm the words in the Declaration of Independence, "That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed," And, we maintain that the most effective government is that which is closest to the people.
To each generation falls the responsibility to uphold the values that have made the United States the freest, most prosperous, compassionate and successful civilization in history. As we confront security threats from international unrest and terrorism, economic threats from ever-increasing state intervention, and social and political threats from liberal cultural elites, we must also see these times as an opportunity to return to those principles that have made us great.
It has been over two centuries since our founders established the American creed -- government under God and accountable to the people. We believe their vision is best preserved by supporting the principles outlined below.
SECTION 1: We believe CIVIL and RELIGIOUS LIBERTY protect the sovereignty of the individual citizen.
Civil and religious liberties recognized in the U.S. Constitution are God-given and therefore unalienable. These fundamental liberties are proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence, protected in the Bill of Rights and reaffirmed in Article I of the Washington State Constitution, which include the freedom of association and the absolute freedom of conscience. It is the obligation of government at every level to observe, respect and secure these liberties.
Our freedom of religion ensures the individual's right to practice the religion of their choice, not only privately, put publicly. A citizen shall not be punished, persecuted or prosecuted for exercising this right, and businesses shall not be required to perform services which violate the religious beliefs of their owners.
The role of the Judiciary is to uphold the law in a manner faithful to the legislative intent and the original intent of the State and U.S. Constitutions.
SECTION 2: We believe LIMITED GOVERNMENT is essential to a free society.
Our Founders created a Constitution of limited and enumerated powers, underscored by the passage of the Tenth Amendment. We uphold strict compliance with the constitutional limitation of the federal and state governments and believe limiting the role of government is essential toward building economic prosperity and fostering individual freedom.
Furthermore, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects..." We assert that the government has no lawful authority to violate this security, unless a warrant has been issued. This warrant must not be general in nature, but one "...particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
All citizens must be free from unnecessary intrusion and violation of their right of privacy, through data collection, storage and use, made without their knowledge or consent.
Because long-term entitlement destroys dignity, and creeping socialism enslaves and creates destructive expectancies and a dependency relationship, we affirm both the freedom and the responsibility of the individual in society.
Section 3: We believe that upholding our RULE OF LAW and JUSTICE is based upon our Constitution and Judeo-Christian heritage. This recognizes that LIBERTY and INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY best protect and promote a moral and just society.
Laws should reduce and deter crime through the application of strong and appropriate punishment, up to and including the use of the death penalty. They should deter recidivism, require offenders to pay restitution, with the goal of reintegrating offenders back into society as productive citizens.
Effective criminal justice systems respect each citizen's right to not be held without charges or legal representation.
No one is above the law, and the rule of law shall apply to and be enforced upon all government employees and officials and all people equally. Legislators shall not exempt themselves from laws applicable to the people.
We oppose executive orders and executive branch regulations that override the will of the people by circumventing the legislative process.
We believe in the sanctity of a citizen's right to vote. A registered voter must meet established eligibility standards and show proof of U.S. citizenship. Voter Fraud must be addressed and eliminated at all levels.
We affirm both the State and U.S. Constitutions' strict protections for the individual right to keep and bear arms. We oppose mandatory gun registration, licensing of gun owners, and restrictions on law-abiding citizens' right to purchase, own and carry arms, ammunition, or their components. We call for the repeal of all laws and regulations which aim to impair or infringe the exercise of the right to keep and bear arms.
SECTION 4: We believe that a strong NATIONAL SECURITY is a central function of government and that a STRONG AMERICA is a free America.
A strong national defense is necessary for government to fulfill its primary function which is protecting its citizens and their individual rights. The security of our nation is the responsibility of government, military, law enforcement and a vigilant public. Peace comes through strength and deterrence.
A strong America is a force for good at home and abroad. Republicans support and honor the past and continuing service of all veterans and members of the United States' armed forces and the Washington State National Guard. At a time when the United States faces a variety of threats ranging from Jihadist terrorism, the proliferation of nuclear weapons, and rogue regional powers, it is important to endorse policies that will ensure peace through strength.
Neither the citizens nor the armed forces of the United States must ever be subject to any foreign or United Nations' control or direction unless specifically authorized by an Act of Congress.
The safety of the United States and the stability of the world is undermined when a President unilaterally weakens our deterrence posture by announcing that he will not use all available military power to deter aggressive actions by other nations.
United States foreign policy should support our national security and economic interests. We support our allies, such as Israel, as well as people seeking freedom repressive regimes.
SECTION 5: We believe the preservation of LIBERTY is dependent upon the sanctity of our NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY.
The U.S. Constitution is the supreme law of the land. The President shall not negotiate, and the Senate shall not ratify, any treaties, U.N. resolutions, agendas or foreign law, religious or otherwise, that are contrary to the U.S. Constitution. Agenda 21/2030, the Kyoto Protocol, Sharia Law, and other threaten our sovereignty. Therefor, judges, state and local authorities must be barred from using or applying foreign agendas, laws and resolutions for the purposes of interpreting the State and U.S. Constitutions and laws passed pursuant thereto and must be bound by their original intent.
Command and control of the United States armed forces must be relinquished to the United Nations or to any foreign power unless specifically authorized by an Act of Congress.
The sovereignty of the people of the United States must be protected and preserved.
SECTION 6: WE believe our National BORDERS are best protected by a fair and enforced IMMIGRATION policy.
The United States government must protect all of our borders from illegal crossings.
We support the immediate enforcement of all existing immigration laws to:
* Conduct proper security screening of all temporary workers, refugees, and permanent residents or citizens applicants;
* Monitor visa overstays and deport individuals whose visa has expired;
* Enact an effective temporary guest worker program;
* Sanction employees who commit felonies in the United States as our first enforcement priority; and
* Deport aliens who commit felonies in the United States as our first enforcement priority; and
* Withhold federal funding from cities and towns that refuse to enforce federal immigration laws, especially sanctuary cities.
Federal, state and local entitlement programs, driver's licenses and voting privileges shall not be available to those who are in this country illegally. In addition, we advocate securing our borders.
Section 7: We believe in restoring sound MONETARY POLICY.
Inflation, skyrocketing debt, and global economic instability are the consequences of a debt-based monetary system utilizing fiat currency.
To restore long-term monetary stability, we support the creation of a commission to consider the feasibility of returning the U.S. dollar to the gold standard; and mandating periodic audits by the U.S. Government precious metals holdings.
Section 8: We believe in restoring sound FISCAL POLICY.
Our national debt nearly doubled from 2008 to 2016 and reached catastrophic levels. We must not allow irresponsible government spending to burden our children with crushing public debt.
Furthermore, our debt is primarily a consequence of over-spending, not one of insufficient taxation. Increasing the already heavy tax burden will reduce incentives to work and invest, resulting in lower economic growth and higher unemployment.
We call for a restoration of long-term fiscal stability via a balanced budget amendment, a simplified and flattened tax code and a legislative super-majority required to increase taxes. we oppose the imposition of a state income tax.
SECTION 9: We believe ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY ensures that each generation is better off than th one before it.
The greatest economic opportunity can best be achieved through imposing as few restraints as possible on private property, industry, recreational opportunities and trade. Private sector job creation, entrepreneurship, and retaining business and industry in our county and state are best are best achieved by minimizing business and personal taxes, limiting regulatory law, adopting right to work legislation and removing prevailing wage laws.
SECTION 10: We believe that the FAMILY unit is the cornerstone of a free and moral society.
We recognize and defend the unalienable right of human life, from conception to natural death. Public funding should not be used for any act, individual, or institutional which violates the right to life of the innocent.
We believe it is a self-evident that there are only two innate, distinct, and complementary genders, male and who in union are genetically designed to conceive new life. It is the primary duty of parents, not the state, to protect, nurture and prepare their children or adulthood. We believe it is the duty of Government to protect human life and promote healthy families by safeguarding traditional marriage. We strongly oppose the redefinition of marriage and family and the blurring of gender distinctions which threaten the personal safety and privacy of opposite gender children and adults in public toileting or bathing facilities.
SECTION 11: We believe EDUCATION is critical to equip our children to be productive and reponsible citizens.
We believe the primary authority and responsibility of educating our children resides with parents,including important moral, religious, and values-based education; therefor, we oppose mandatory religious instruction, sex education, homosexual, bisexual, transsexual education, or any other sexual education alternatives, death education, and values clarification by public schools or outside organizations. We believe these topics should be taught at home and not included in graduation requirements.
We support School Choice through vouchers including: home schooling, private schools, public schools, charter schools, and vocational and technical training. States may set minimum graduation requirements. Education priorities and curriculum should be determined at the local level but must include the study and understanding of the Constitution of the United States of America and our founding documents.
We support the elimination of the Federal Department of Education and returning its control and funding to the States. Teacher performance should be monitored and rewarded at the local level. We recognize that the educational needs of students vary throughout the country, which cannot be met with a single mandate requiring one size to fit all. We support the elimination of Common Core standards.
We believe a strong higher education and vocational and vocational training system is critical for economic vitality, therefore, the Federal Government should be removed from financial entanglements with Higher Education; and state supported post-secondary institutions need to give priority access to Washington state students. Colleges and universities should emphasize courses that promote understanding and a practical application of each discipline and avoid indoctrination and political correctness.
SCETION 12: We believe the greatest HEALTHCARE system in the world is best preserved by minimizing government control.
Therefore, we call for the repeal of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly known as ObamaCare; we oppose any single-payer system, and support legislation which incorporates the principles listed below.
A competitive, free market-oriented healthcare system will produce affordable healthcare plans for consumers. This is accomplished through:
* Interstate competition among insurers and healthcare providers and organizations;
* Abolishing mandates which restrict or prevent catastrophic health insurance plans;
*Health savings accounts; and
* Tort reform.
Physicians, healthcare providers, pharmacy owners, and healthcare organizations must retain the right to exercise freedom of conscience to practice in a manner they believe is ethical.
The homeless, chemically dependent, and mentally ill are best served by local community based, non-governmental and charitable organizations.
SECTION 13: We believe PROPERTY RIGHTS are civil rights.
The proper role pf government is to protect "life, liberty and property." Washington Republicans believe there is a fundamental relationship between free societies and the protection of private property rights. When governments unnecessarily withhold or expand the amount of land they own and abuse the power of eminent domain and regulatory takings, everyone's freedom is at risk.
We support strong laws that protect individuals' rights and property by requiring Federal and sate agencies to uphold contractual and historical land rights for water, grazing, forestry, agriculture, and land management. every person has the right to acquire, own, use, possess, enjoy, and dispose of private property as they see fit.
We affirm the Washington State Constitution that states, "No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." For this reason, no government agency should participate in asset forfeiture without fair and impartial judicial process.
We oppose any governmental acquisition of private property for private development. We further oppose such acquisition for public use without constitutional due process and just compensation. Regulations that devalue real property constitute a taking for which the property owner needs to be justly compensated.
SECTION 14: We believe vibrant AGRICULTURE and NATURAL RESOURCE industries are critical to the health of the Washington economy and environment.
Societies rise and fall based on the strength of the nation's agriculture. The free market is the best mechanism to secure a strong agriculture base. Abundant, domestically produced fertilizer, food, and access to water, essential technology and equipment are critical to our national security.
We insist on the return of federally managed public lands to the states as promised in the Enabling Act, excluding existing national parks, congressionally designated wilderness areas, tribal lands, and military installations. Federal public lands shall become state public lands to be managed in accordance with state and local plans. State or federal acquisition of land should be curtailed and procedures established for the disposition of lands for which there is no compelling public need. State trust land need to be managed for the benefit of the entities entitled to their proceeds.
We encourage local governments to fully utilize state and federal statutes mandating coordination with agencies in order to protect agriculture and timber industries from overreaching regulations in rulemaking and plan revisions.
Section 15: We believe America must balance our need for ENERGY with the conservation of our ENVIRONMENT.
We support a comprehensive energy policy for the United States, allowing access to and use of its abundant energy resources, consistent with free market principles and minimal government regulation. Creativity, technology will determine the most efficient, cost effective and clean uses of energy, resulting in a prosperous economy.
We recognize that practices such as agriculture, timber harvesting and mining may change environments and landscapes and require practice stewardship to minimize negative impacts, prevent pollution, and promote a clean, healthy environment. Due consideration shall be given to the economic impact of environmental concerns and water rights on farming, forestry, property rights and other commercial activities. We therefore:
* Advocate pursuing independence from petroleum imports;
* Support investment in safe nuclear energy and the permanent disposal of nuclear waste;
* Insist that electricity created from hydro power plants be officially classified as renewable energy;
* Oppose all energy subsidies
Changes in climate occur naturally over time and warming from human-generated greenhouse gasses has not proven and should not be a basis for public policy. "Climate change" alarmism is a radical agenda driven not by freely-functioning science, but by cronyism between big government and institutionalized science. This results in:
* The suppression of free and open debate;
* The enrichment of certain favored parties at the expense of others and;
* A serious decline of liberty.
We maintain that debate over climate change and other scientific issues must take place without external pressure, and scientists must be free to present various theses without fear of retribution.
SECTION 16: WE believe the TRANSPORTATION system is important to our economic survival and quality of life.
Our transportation system, comprised of roads, rail, air and waterways, as well as our ports and ferries, is critical to moving people and products in Washington. The highest priorities in transportation infrastructure should be congestion relief and the movement of goods and services. These priorities must be achieved through the construction and maintenance of general purpose roads.
Our state's limited transportation funding should not be squandered on commuter trains, light rail and concepts such as "complete streets". We support a transportation system that enables people to make free choices for themselves and their businesses, not one that attempts to manipulate and control hoe they travel.
Furthermore, we reject the policies of Transportation 2040 with its ultimate goal of tolling nearly every highway in the state. We strongly oppose the imposition of a carbon tax. These tolls and taxes will impeded the flow of people and freight in the state.
Transportation agencies must be accountable to the tax payers through ballot measures, performance audits and, as a last resort, the state Senate's confirmation process.
To prevent hidden transfer of funds from state to local governments, we call for the elimination of sales tax on all taxpayer supported transportation construction projects.
SECTION 17: We believe the INITIATIVE PROCESS is essential to providing a legislative voice for all citizens of Washington State.
The Washington State Constitution provides, The first power reserved by the people is the initiative," and "The second power reserved by the people is the referendum". These fundamental rights of initiative and referendum should be free from unnecessary and burdensome regulation imposed by the state. We support prohibiting legislative abuse of emergency clauses to circumvent the peoples power of initiative and referendum. We support providing that the courts can only overturn an Initiative passed by the people if it is found to be clearly in violation of a specific provision of the Washington State Constitution.
The Washington State Republican Party reaffirms the principles of The American's Creed.
The American's Creed
by William Tyler Page
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic' a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which Americans patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
I therefor believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.