SKAGIT COUNTY REPUBLICAN PLATFORM 2016
April 9, 2016
The United States of America is the Greatest country ever established. Republicans are Conservatives. We want to Conserve, preserve those conditions that make our country so remarkable, so special in all the annals of history. Our FOUNDATION is based on the Rule of Law, directed by our CONSTITUTION. Our guiding PRINCIPLES are Economic Freedom, Limited Government, Individual Liberty, Strong National Defense, and Traditional Values. Our GOALS are to allow every American Citizen an equal opportunity to strive for the American Dream, each having Natural, God-given Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Therefore, as Americans and Members of the Republican Party, we hereby stand by these Declarations and following Pledges.
1. CONSTITUTION. Uphold the Rule of Law in America, as directed by the U.S. Constitution, with no deference to the United Nations, the World Court, or any other International, Foreign, or Religious Laws. Advocate for strong support of our Bill of Rights, in particular the 1st and 2nd Amendments. Resist the Regulatory State by overturning abusive Administrative Law, repealing Judicial Legislation, and stopping regulatory overreach by unelected bureaucrats. Retain and preserve the privileges of Citizenship for Citizens, especially Voting Rights and Entitlement Benefits.
2. NATIONAL DEFENSE. Provide for Strong National Defense by rebuilding our Military and maintaining it with a reasonable Defense Budget going forward. Oppose all Nuclear Proliferation. Secure our Borders and enforce our Current Laws to allow Legal Immigration to proceed in a safe and meaningful way that is good for America.
3. EDUCATION. Abolish the U.S. Department of Education. Support School Choice and Vocational Training. Monitor, reward, and discipline Teacher Performance, based on realistic results. Recognize that Educational Needs of Students vary throughout the country and cannot be met with a single Mandate requiring One Size to Fit All. Remove Federal Government from financial entanglements with Higher Education.
4. MONETARY. Abolish the IRS. Department of Treasury to administer a FLAT TAX on Earned Income, Interest, Dividends, Capital Gains and Corporations. NO Tax on Social Security Benefits or Death. Reform Entitlements to keep Social Security and Medicare solvent. Establish a Goal to Retire the National Debt.
5. HEALTHCARE. Repeal and Replace OBAMACARE. Dismantle the VA Health System, then fund all veterans' health care expenses through Medicare and Commercial Insurance.
6. ENERGY. Promote sensible, effective, and realistic Energy Independence that protects the Environment and strengthens the Economy. Support True Science based on Objective Data that seeks to answer how things are, not how they ought to be.
7. MEMBERS OF GOVERNMENT. Establish Term Limits for all elected Officials and Judges. All work related Benefits (Health Care, Retirement, Insurance, etc.) enjoyed by elected, appointed or hired officials and employees of Government shall be no different in any way from such benefits as are available, in an equal manner, to all the citizens.
8. ECONOMY. Support Free Market Enterprise, Free Trade, and provide Equal Opportunity employment for all citizens. Oppose Regulations that impair economic development.
9. FOREIGN AID. Capitalism and Free Enterprise are the real Cure for Poverty. Allocate goods and services only to those truly in need, with the goal of helping them help themselves. Require that resources actually be delivered to the intended recipients. Deny all Foreign Aid to any Hostile Government that might use it against America or its Allies.
10. TRADITIONAL VALUES. Value the Sanctity of Human Life and the Importance of Marriage, Family, and Discipline as cornerstones of Civilization. Support a virtuous Work Ethic and Self Responsibility. Deny Taxpayer Funding for any elective termination of innocent Human Life. Provide help to those who need it.
1. TAXATION. Repeal State Death Tax. Oppose State Income Tax and State Gift Tax. Amend WA State Constitution to make the 2/3rds Legislative Rule to Raise Taxes permanent
2. EDUCATION. Money is neither the problem, nor an answer. Student Interests must be prioritized above Teacher's. Unions should focus on their Members. School Boards & Superintendents should focus on their Students.
3. JUSTICE. CRIMINAL. No Sanctuary Cities. Enforce the Law and Uphold Sentences. Support our Police and Sheriffs. CIVIL. Work for TORT REFORM and allocation of Court Costs to the Losing Party.
4. ELECTIONS. Re-establish IN PERSON voting at polling places on Election Day with required Voter I.D. Allow Absentee Ballots only by valid exception.
5. PROPERTY RIGHTS. Protect our Constitutional Right against Government takings of private property. Restrict Eminent Domain to proper use, only for the Public Good with just compensation. Repeal Growth Management Act (GMA).
6. HEALTH CARE. Dismantle State Exchange for Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and limit Medicaid expansion. Open Health Insurance across State lines. Give patients their choice.
7. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS. Make Washington a Right to Work State. Reform unfunded Pension Liabilities to protect future taxpayers. NO STRIKE RULE for essential service employees: Police, Fire, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, City/County/State Services.
8. INDIAN AFFAIRS. All Members of Federally Recognized Tribes were granted U.S. Citizenship in 1924. State Government and Agencies must treat Tribal Members as co-equals with all other Citizens of the State, showing no preference for any particular group.
9. Federalism. Respect and implement the 10th Amendment.
1. ZONING. Decisions shall be based upon citizen input and needs, not driven by GRANTS. No changes to Shoreline Master Plan unless requested by The People. Down Zoning, and any other land use regulation which diminishes property value constitutes a "Taking" which must be compensated. Permanently bury "Envision Skagit 2060".
2. AGRICULTURE-FORESTRY. Oppose "Puget Sound Near Shore Ecosystem Restoration Project" (PSNSERP) destruction of valuable agricultural lands. Respect all Irrigation and Water Rights, including allocation of an adequate water supply from the Skagit and Samish Rivers. Never allow a "Transfer of Development Rights" (TDR) program. Demand better, scientific management of Dept. of Fish & Wildlife: 1. To preserve both natural and hatchery production of gene stocks for salmon and steelhead, promoting both conservation and harvest; 2. To avoid preventable damage to property, crops, livestock, and humans from wildlife.
3. WATER. Oppose any and all Bureaucratic Rules (WAC's) that change or hamper WA State Law (RCW's). Groundwater Permit Exemption, RCW 90.44.050, should be enforced as written into State Law, allowing domestic use for single family dwellings without requiring a State Water Right Permit. Redirecting surface flow of any Stream or River is not permissible.
4. TRANSPORTATION. Properly direct our limited funds to required maintenance of Essential Roads, before desired construction of Recreational Trails. Improve and maintain adequate 24/7 Emergency Medical Services (911)to all areas of Skagit County. Skagit Council of Governments (SCOG),paid by taxpayers, was never approved by them. This organization must be restructured to allow meaningful citizen input at all stages, or be disbanded.