The ‘Platform’ is a metaphor for what we as Republicans represent. You stand on a platform. Our platform represents the principles we stand for. Various issues, topics, and items we think important now are used to structure the platform. They are the PLANKS, used to build our platform. These planks are declarations that speak to each specific issue, and represent ideals and principles, it’s a snapshot in time.
Keep in mind there are many problems and issues that concern us. Reason dictates that we cannot include every last item of interest in our platform. So we must be content to state our desired goals, knowing that these statements show, to anyone interested, what we stand for- what we are about - who we are.
In creating our platform we followed the consensus of the hundreds of Skagit Republicans who chose to attend their Precinct Caucuses. We took stock of our caucus goers’ concerns and addressed those issues that garnered the most support, and still kept it down to a manageable 4 pages, organized in parallel with our Governments' structures: National - State - Local.
It was constructed to convey our belief in a Constitutional Republic and our Traditional Culture, written to show what’s most important now, in a topical, timely, and tidy fashion.
SKAGIT COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM
- May 16 2020 -
America is just more than a country, a place on a map. It began as an idea, something never tried before, with the concept that man has Natural, God-Given Rights, and that people should govern themselves. America was founded on the principles of the Rule-of-Law, Economic Freedom, Limited Government, Individual Liberty and Private Property. A new model was of government was established with three co-equal branches. A Republic, if we can keep it. As Republicans, conservatives, we cherish and want to conserve these Foundational Principles just like it says in the Constitution, to "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity."
If this Republic is to stand, our Government must have Limited Powers, as put forth in the Constitution; but it must also be strong enough to provide our National Security and to protect our Individual Rights and Traditional Values. Our GOALS are to allow every American Citizen an equal opportunity to strive for the American Dream, each having Natural, God-given Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Therefore, as Americans and Members of the Republican Party, we hereby stand by these Declarations and following Pledges.
1. CONSTITUTION. Uphold the Rule of Law in America, as directed by the U.S. Constitution, with no deference to the United Nations, the World Court, or any other international, foreign, or religious laws. Advocate for strong support of our Bill of Rights, in particular the 1st and 2nd Amendments. Resist the regulatory state by overturning abusive administrative law, repealing judicial legislation, and stopping regulatory overreach by unelected bureaucrats. Retain and preserve the privileges of citizenship for citizens, especially voting rights and entitlement benefits.
2. NATIONAL DEFENSE. Provide for Strong National Defense by rebuilding our military and maintaining it with a reasonable defense budget going forward. Oppose all nuclear proliferation. Secure our borders and enforce our current laws to allow legal immigration to proceed in a safe and meaningful way that is good for America. Amend Birth-Right Citizenship.
3. EDUCATION. Reform the U.S. Department of Education. Support School Choice and Vocational Training. Monitor, reward, and discipline teacher performance, based on realistic results. Recognize that educational needs of students vary throughout the country and cannot be met with a single mandate requiring a 'one size fits all' mentality. Remove federal government from financial entanglements with higher education.
4. MONETARY. Reform the IRS. Department of Treasury to administer a low and simple FLAT TAX on earned income, interest, dividends, capital gains and corporations. NO tax on Social Security Benefits or Death. Reform entitlements to keep Social Security and Medicare solvent. Establish a plan to retire the national debt.
5. HEALTHCARE. Repeal and replace OBAMACARE. Dismantle the VA health system, then fund all veterans' health care expenses through Medicare and commercial Insurance. Oppose Single Payer - "Medicare for All."
6. ENERGY. Promote sensible, effective, and realistic Energy Independence that protects the environment and strengthens the economy. Support true science based on factual, objective data that seeks to answer how things are, not how they ought to be.
7. MEMBERS OF GOVERNMENT. Establish 'Term Limits' for all elected officials and judges. All work related benefits (health care, retirement, insurance, etc.) enjoyed by elected, appointed or hired officials and employees of government shall be no different in any way from such benefits as are available, in an equal manner, to all the citizens.
8. ECONOMY. Support Free Markets, Free Enterprise, Free Trade, and provide equal opportunity employment for all citizens. Oppose Regulations that impair economic development.
9. FOREIGN AID. Capitalism and Free Enterprise are the real cure for poverty. Allocate goods and services only to those truly in need, with the goal of helping them help themselves. Require that resources actually be delivered to the intended recipients. Deny all foreign aid to any hostile government that might use it against America or its allies.
10. TRADITIONAL VALUES. Value the sanctity of human life and the importance of traditional marriage, family, and discipline as cornerstones of civilization. Support a virtuous work ethic and self responsibility. Deny taxpayer funding for any elective termination of innocent human life. Provide help to those who need it.
11. ELECTORAL COLLEGE. Support our Republic and Federalism. Oppose National Popular Vote, since that would give all electoral power to the large urban centers.
1. TAXATION. Repeal State Death Tax. Oppose State Income Tax and State Gift Tax. Amend WA State Constitution to make the 2/3 Legislative rule to raise taxes permanent.
2. EDUCATION. Money is neither the problem, nor an answer. Student Interests must be prioritized above teacher's. Unions should focus on their members. School Boards & Superintendents should focus on their students. 3 R's: Re-establish basic curriculum, including civics and history. reject frivolous and sometimes dangerous Politically Correct Agendas. Respect Parental Input.
3. CRIMINAL JUSTICE. No Sanctuary Cities. Enforce the law and uphold sentences. Support our police and sheriffs. CIVIL, work for TORT REFORM and allocation of court costs to the losing party.
4. ELECTIONS. Re-establish In Person Voting at polling places on election day with Required Voter I.D. Allow absentee ballots only by valid exception, with no external markers.
5. PROPERTY RIGHTS. Protect our constitutional right against government takings of private property. Restrict eminent domain to proper use, only for the Public Good with just compensation. Repeal the Growth Management Act (GMA).
6. HEALTH CARE. Dismantle State Exchange for Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and limit Medicaid expansion. Open health insurance across state lines. Give patients their choice in a free and open market.
7. PUBLIC EMPLOYEE UNIONS. Make Washington a Right to Work State. Reform unfunded pension liabilities to protect future taxpayers. NO STRIKE RULE for essential service employees: Police, Fire, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, City/County/State Services.
8. INDIAN AFFAIRS. All Members of Federally Recognized Tribes were granted U.S. Citizenship in 1924. State government and agencies must treat tribal members as co-equals with all other citizens of the state, showing no preference for any particular group.
9. FEDERALISM. Respect and implement the 9th and 10th Amendment.
COUNTY / LOCAL GOVERNMENT
1. ZONING. Decisions shall be based upon citizen input and needs, not driven by 'Special Interests' and grants. No changes to Shoreline Master Plan unless requested by The People. Down Zoning, and any other land use regulation which diminishes property value constitutes a "Taking" which must be compensated. Permanently bury "Envision Skagit 2060". Never ending increases in property taxes are not sustainable and must be curtailed. The bloated bureaucracy benefits neither the students in our schools nor the citizens of our country.
2. AGRICULTURE-FORESTRY. Oppose "Puget Sound Near Shore Ecosystem Restoration Project" (PSNSERP) destruction of valuable agricultural lands. Respect all Irrigation and Water Rights, including allocation of an adequate water supply from the Skagit and Samish Rivers. Never allow a "Transfer of Development Rights" (TDR) program. Demand better, scientific management of Dept. of Fish & Wildlife: 1. To preserve both natural and hatchery production of gene stocks for salmon and steelhead, promoting both conservation and harvest; 2. To avoid preventable damage to property, crops, livestock, and humans from wildlife.
3. WATER. Oppose any and all Bureaucratic Rules (WAC's) that seek to change or hamper WA State Law (RCW's). Groundwater Permit Exemption, RCW 90.44.050, should be enforced as written into state law, allowing domestic use for single family dwellings without requiring a State Water Right Permit. Redirecting surface flow of any stream or river is not permissible.
4. TRANSPORTATION. Properly direct our limited funds to required maintenance of essential roads, before desired construction of recreational trails. Improve and maintain adequate 24/7 Emergency Medical Services (911) to all areas of Skagit County. Skagit Council of Governments (SCOG), paid by taxpayers, was never approved by them. This organization must be restructured to allow meaningful citizen input at all stages, or be disbanded.
5. GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE. Oppose Charter Rule and any other structure that would prioritize Urban ideals at the expense of the General population. Support Citizen Input and Government Accountability.
To each generation falls the responsibility to uphold the values that have made the United States the freest, most prosperous, compassionate and successful civilization in history. As we confront security threats from international unrest and terrorism, economic threats from ever-increasing state intervention, and social and political threats from liberal cultural elites, we must also see these times as an opportunity to return to those principles that have made us great.
The Washington State Republican Party reaffirms the principles of The American's Creed.
The American's Creed
by William Tyler Page
I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a 'democracy in a republic' a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which Americans patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
I therefor believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.
Washington State Constitution Article 1, Section 1 says: "All political power is inherent in the people, and governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, and are established to protect and maintain individual rights." Link to the WA State Constitution Here